History of the Kendalia Public Library
The library was founded on Saturday, March 8, year unknown but sometime before 1929. Books were purchased and housed in a metal cabinet in the Kendalia School. In 1940, the metal library cabinet was placed in the newly built rock school building in Kendalia. Kendalia School began a newspaper, in 1947, entitled, "The Armadillo" written by the schoolchildren. All proceeds were used to purchase library books. In 1958, Kendalia School consolidated with Blanco ISD and the rock school building became the Kendalia Community Club. On May 5, 1961, the Club designated the west room for the Kendalia Public Library. Women of the community processed the donated books while the men built wooden shelves. For fifteen years the Kendalia Public Library received no funding except for personal and United Way donations. In 1976, the library began the children's summer reading program. In 1976, Kendall County Commissioner's Court voted to fund the library $500 per year. In 1980, the Kendall County Library System was founded and Kendalia Public Library qualified as a system member of the San Antonio Area Library System.
Our library has a vast collection of books, audio books, DVDs, and magazines. We also offer access to digital resources such as microscopes, learning resources, and online databases.
In addition to lending materials, we offer a variety of services to our patrons, including computer access, wifi, printing and scanning, and educational programs.
Starting January 24, 2024
10:30 - 11:30 am
We will have stories and crafts for children ages 2 - 6 years. Focusing on basic story telling, folktales and nursery rhymes, and puppet shows along with crafts and games. It is common to bring a snack or lunch to enjoy to enjoy on the playground. Please bring water bottle and wear comfortable play attire.
Starting January 24, 2024
2:00 - 4:00
Join us for stories, projects, and games each Wednesday.
Every Wednesday from 10:00 am join us for a program and playtime at the library. Please bring a water bottle and shoes.
Sign up to hear from us about programs or events
Katya Kuhn - President
Anya Ludolf - Library Director
Black and White Copies/ Printouts
Color Copies/ Printouts
Cardstock/Photo Paper (if available)
$1.00 first page and 50¢each additional
Get Your Copy of
Kendalia A History of the Settlement
by Donna Doring Jonas
$50.00 each at the:
Kendalia General Store
2545 Hwy 473
Kendalia, TX 78027
Braving the elements, Indian raids, disease, and wild animals, the first settlers to Kendalia set down roots along Curry's Creek. The families of Patton, Sansom, Jones, Rawls, Lawhon, Nowlin, Gourley, Hodges, Merrill, McCrocklin, Garven, Schmidt, and Edge built the first log cabins, set aside family cemeteries, and built the first schools. They found their lives interwoven as they began forging and clearing the wilderness of Beck's Flat, so named after a wandering wild mule.
The serenity of the rolling hills, the beauty of Edge Falls with foaming water cascading fifty feet to the pool below, and the immense oaks and cypress trees beckoned the settler to stay, raise their livestock, plant cotton, build a grist mill, a post office, stores, and schools to make for themselves a better life. Many of the old family names remain to this day. The memoirs of the local historians lying dormant for over fifty years, have now received a voice and speak out. telling of the faith, courage, tenacity, hard work, and privation of a people determined to lay the groundwork for the town of Kendalia.